How do I care for carpet?
When you follow the flooring maintenance and care guides, it’s easy to maintain the beauty of your new floor. Properly caring for your carpet will enhance its life and performance, giving you years of enjoyment. Whether you choose to clean it yourself or hire a professional, make sure to check your carpet warranty for any maintenance instructions. Almost all carpet warranties will require that you have a professional clean your carpet every 18-24 months.
What To Do:
- Do vacuum heavy traffic areas twice per week — be sure to review maintenance instructions for vacuum cleaners that are approved for use on your specific floor type.
- Do rotate furniture in your room can help prevent permanent indentation.
- Do perform a deep cleaning (or have a professional cleaning) in high traffic rooms every 18-24 months.
What Not To Do:
- Do not use any household cleaners that are not listed within the approved cleaner in your care and maintenance instructions.
- Do not use any cleaning methods that are not mentioned within the manufacturer label in order to maintain your manufacturer warranty.
How do I care for hardwood?
Caring for your hardwood floor is easy and can help extend its life and preserve its appearance. Because no two pieces of hardwood are the same, it may have natural blemishes such as mineral streaks, small knots or grain variations. By observing a few precautions and using appropriate cleaning methods, you can expect years of beauty from your hardwood flooring. Care and maintenance instructions may also differ by region, as your hardwood floor may shrink or expand based on climate and humidity. Wood floors perform best when room humidity falls between 30 – 50% and room temperature falls between 60 – 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
What to do:
- Do sweep frequently or vacuum to remove loose dirt and soil is all that is required.
- Do use approved household cleaners only that are listed within the hardwood’s care and maintenance instruction.
- Do use chair and table protectors to prevent scratching.
What not to do:
- Do not clean or mop with water or steam.
- Do not use wax or cleaner that must be mixed with water such as oil, soap or paste wax products.
- Do not vacuum with a beater bar head, unless the beater bar is switched off.
- Do not wear shoes with spikes or stiletto high heels.